Dundalk Simon is a non-profit, registered charitable organisation located in Dundalk town but serving the north-east of the country. We provide safe, supportive shelter and services for people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
Dundalk Simon was founded on January 31st 1973 on the caring principles laid down by Anton Wallich-Clifford. A soup run was initiated which operated for six months. In September 1973 a small two room premises on Francis Street was opened as a Friendship Centre, proving an evening meal and a place for conversation for people who were homeless in the town. In January 1074, overnight accommodation was provided at the centre for five men. In January 1975, a £7,000 loan was secured to buy a ten-roomed house in Barrack Street (Sunnyside House). Finances were a key concern, prompting the opening of the shop in 1976, still situated in Yorke Street today. In 1995 Sunnyside House was completely redesigned and now houses our 24/7 emergency accommodation project and crisis shelter. To complement the work of Sunnyside House we opened The Crescent Project in 2002 as a residential project specifically dedicated to working with young men with a learning disability who were at risk of homelessness, and our Daycentre at Seatown House, in 2006, to offer support to the growing number of former residents now living independently in Dundalk. Since 2013 we have been registered as an approved housing body providing housing for homeless people with 5 social care houses and 12 transitional housing units in current stock.